Things to do in Portland, Maine
Portland, the largest city in Maine, is only about half an hour’s drive from Kennebunkport and offers a wide variety of attractions and things to see and do. With popular tourist areas such as the Old Port district on Portland Harbor, the Arts District and Cape Elizabeth there are always plenty of fun activities and attractions for the family to enjoy.
Some of our recommended Portland attractions include…
Victoria Mansion (4 star review)
109 Danforth St.
- Elaborate 19th century Italian villa style residence
- 90% of original furnishings
- One of the most important historic house museums in the nation
138 Congress St.
- Last remaining maritime single tower in nation
- Daily tours
Portland Symphony Orchestra
- Pops outdoor concerts, Christmas concerts, classical music, Mozart concerts, and Week end pop concerts
Old Port District
- Blocks of cobblestone streets in restored port section of the city
- Shopping, restaurants, waterfront, nightlife
Len Libby Handmade Candies
- Home to a 1700 lb. chocolate moose!
Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum
- Train ride along scenic Casco Bay and Portland waterfront
Museum at Portland Headlight
1000 Shore Rd.
- Maine’s oldest lighthouse
- Museum and gift shop in Fort Williams Park
Maine’s home of stand up comedy.
- Headliners from HBO, Letterman, Comedy Central, and The Tonight Show
Portland Art Museum
7 Congress Square.
- More than 17,000 pieces housed in 3 historic and remarkable buildings
- Some permanent and some constantly changing exhibits
The White Barn Inn Maine is the perfect base to discover Portland attractions and enjoy the many great things to see and do.